Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

八千代高校「鼓組」



Once the parade through Narita finished, I thought the festival had ended. Yet, I happily discovered that there were more don's and doko's coming from somewhere else. The music led me to a stage where taiko groups from different high schools were performing. I could only catch the last group, but I wasn't surprised to discover that these young performers packed more punch than a lot of groups I had seen so far. In high schools, among the numerous clubs offered to students, taiko is not a rare option. And when these kids are serious about it, they are really serious about it. Take a look at this video to see for yourself. This ensemble is called "Kogumi", and they are all students of Yachiyo high school in Chiba prefecture. In the video, Kogumi performs Miyake, and then the show finishes with all the high school groups that had played that afternoon performing together.


Another great piece by Kogumi (and there are tons more of their videos on youtube):

http://youtu.be/b95PqWTO-sU

No comments:

Post a Comment